Our favourite ways to unwind…
1. Hug it out: Nothing makes the world feel ok again like a cuddle – even a virtual one over the phone can help at a push. When life gets overwhelming, down tools for a moment and give someone a hug
2. Take a bath: A soak in a warm bath at the end of a stressful day let your muscles relax and your mind make sense of things. Bathroom door – locked. Candles – on. Soothing aromas – to hand. And relax….
3. Write it down: Keep a journal so you can put your thoughts on paper. Even if it’s just for your eyes only – there’s something about the act of writing things down that helps our brain to process what’s going on. Keep a pen and paper on your bedside table too and if something is spinning in your mind and stopping you sleeping, take a minute to make a note of it. Then you can forget about it until morning
4. Take a deep breath: The do anywhere way to change your state of mind. Shut your eyes and take three slow, long, deep breaths. How do you feel? Calmer? More together? Powerful? You’ve just given your body and brain a big helping of oxygen. Your heart rate will have slowed and your brain will be more able to focus. Feels better doesn’t it?
5. Go for a walk: Walking is a great way to give yourself some much needed think time. So grab the dog, put your boots on and get outside. Fill your lungs with fresh air and let your mind wander for a while
6. Have a laugh: Laughter has a positive effect on how we feel emotionally. Going to bed happy has been proven to help increase the chances of a good night’s rest. So whether it’s with friends or just with the telly, do something that you know will make you smile and leave your worries behind