Winter can take its toil on our skin and our energy levels. If you feel the need for a bit of intensive r&r to help you look at feel your best after these colder months, then consider a visit to one of the fab British spa hotels that are dotted around the country. Many of them have deals on at this time of year and going out of season means no need to fight the crowds to get that last minute facial booking. The Kiss the Moon team have been test-driving a few for you (tough job, we know) and compiled a list of our most recent favorites. See you in the steamroom…
Our top five British Spa Hotels
1. Barnsley House, Gloucestershire We'll admit it - Barnsley House has a special place in our hearts. One of our team was married here in the old stone folly in the gorgeous gardens with the guests sitting under the giant horse chestnut tree. Since then we've been lucky enough to stay a few more times and each visit delights. This lovely old country house near Cirencester is a perfect hideaway offers guests good food, gracious staff and classy surroundings. Walk through the wooden path to the spa to enjoy experienced hands and Aromatherapy Associates treatments. Plus a must try dip in the heated outdoor pool. Whatever time of year you go, we bet you'll emerge feeling rejuvenated and ready to step back into the the real world once more. Though you might not quite want to leave. Read our full Sleepover Review of our latest stay at Barnsley House Bedtime Blog post here. Barnsley House, Barnsley, Cirencester, Gloucestershire, GL7 5EE (Enquiries: 01285 740000 barnsleyhouse.com or book via Mr & Mrs Smith)
2. Feversham Arms, North Yorkshire Fancy a bit of Yorkshire hospitality combined with top notch spa treatments? Check in to the Feversham Arms in the pretty market town of Helmsley and you can be sure of both. The best rooms are those dotted around the pool. The one we stayed in was like being in our own tiny cottage complete with all the home comforts and wow bathrooms that you'd want from an indulgent weekend away. While it might be a bit nippy for a dip in the outdoor pool at this time of year, the indoor spa facilities will keep you happy. Snuggle up in a cosy robe, grab your towelling slippers and relax. The staff are lovely and deserve a special mention. If you are in town, don't miss a trip to the brilliant Star at Harome just 2 miles down the road for Michelin Star quality food in one of the loveliest thatched roofed buildings you'll ever see. Enquiries: +44(0)1439 770 766 or via website fevershamarmshotel.com Feversham Arms Hotel, Helmsley, North Yorkshire, YO62 5AG
3. The Scarlett, Cornwall What is it about sea air that brings our spirit back to life? If you want to experience this firsthand, then check in to The Scarlet - a stylish hotel tucked in to the hillside overlooking Mawgan Porth beach on the Cornish coast. This is the British seaside done with style. It's a perfect spot for a soul-restoring weekend away. You might want to send the kids to the grandparents while you visit as the whole place is designed around providing a bit of ocean inspired serenity rather than pandering to the beat of little feet (plenty of that elsewhere on the coast). The spa treatments are too good to miss. So book before you arrive to make sure you get to try everything out. The indoor pool is a stunner but we loved the seawater swimming pond out front - which not only works wonders on your skin but looks just right given the modern building and seafront location. However, the prize for our favourite way to while away the time must go to the outdoor natural wood jacuzzis. Book one, order your gin cocktail and sit and watch the waves for a while. When you eventually emerge - all will be well with the world. We promise. Tredragon Road, Mawgan Porth, Cornwall TR8 4DQ, United Kingdom (Enquiries: 01637 861 800 scarlethotel.co.uk or book via Mr & Mrs Smith)
4. Cowley Manor, Gloucestershire Another bolthole in the Cotswolds that ticks all the boxes. Cowley Manor is the country pile you dream of. We love it when we arrive at a place and the first thing we see is a well-cared for old building with a jumble of wellies outside for you to borrow. It says to us come in, have a wander, do as you fancy for a while - it's all relaxed here. The main house is all grand rooms made funky with art and colour. The bedrooms are split between the main house and the stables - the later work well if you want a bit more of your own space. Where Cowley Manor really wins friends is when you get to the spa. This is one for water babies - both the indoor and outdoor pools are real stunners. Add in a few treatments, indulge in the Green & Spring bath products (Cowley Manor's own range) and stop by the hotel's cute shop to pick up a treat or two to take home. Sounds like a plan, right? Enquiries: +44 (0)1242 870900 or via their website cowleymanor.com Cowley Manor, Cowley, Near Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
5. Blythswood Square Hotel, Glasgow This smart city centre hotel holds a precious secret. Hidden in the depths of the building, deep down below the hustle of the city streets is their magical spa. As you head through the stone corridors that maze under the building the light gets softer and you start to relax. That's even before the treatments. With gorgeous products to choose from. We especially love the Ila Spa goodies - some of our favourites so imagine how thrilled we were to find them not only on the spa menu but also in our hotel bathrooms. A real treat. The spa is a gorgeous place to hang out. With steam rooms and hot pools aplenty so you can relax in between treatments. Book in for a day to unknot those shoulders and escape the grey skies for a while. Enquiries: 0141 248 8888 or via the townhousecompany.com website Blythswood Square Hotel, 11 Blythswood Square, Glasgow, G2 4AD, UK
Take us with you... Have we tempted you in to making a booking? If so, don't forget to pack one of our Kiss the Moon Sleep Recovery Sets into your overnight bag. These handy velvet cosmetic bags contain a set of travel size After Bath & Face oils and one of our luxury silk sleep masks. They'll help you catch up on your beauty sleep and get the most out of your weekend away. Available in LOVE & GLOW - pick one up here and start your packing. Happy travels.