We’re running on berry power this month, so when we saw this delicious twist on a classic recipe we couldn’t resist giving a try. Here’s what happened when elderflower met red berries in this perfect summer dessert...
ELDERFLOWER SUMMER PUDDING
1 punnet of strawberries
1 punnet of raspberries
1 punnet of blackberries
1 punnet of blueberries
½ punnet of blackcurrants
½ punnet of redcurrants
6 - 8 slices of white bread (crusts torn off)
1 vanilla pod
4tbps Elderflower cordial
1. Wash all the fruit and pop them in a pan with the sugar, water and vanilla pod. Let them simmer gently for a few minutes, until they start to produce some delicious juices
2. Whilst the pan is on, prep a pudding bowl (1 ltr pudding basin or 4 smaller ramekins). Rub the inside with a little olive oil and then line with cling film
3. Once the fruit is cooled a little, dip the bread in the excess juice and line your basin. It's better to overlap the bread than leave any gaps
4. Now add a tablespoon of fruit to the bowl and drizzle some of the cordial on top. Repeat with the rest of the fruit and cordial until the basin is full
5. Top the pudding with a last slice of bread, tuck in any that are overhanging and cling film the top.
6. Place on a tray to catch drips and place a plate and some weights on top. Some veg tins work perfectly for this.
7. Leave overnight to lets all the juices meld together
8. Serve with a dollop of creme fraiche or a drizzle of single cream.
Berry heaven xx